Department of Urdu
Prof. Shamshul Hoda Daryabadi, HOD
EMail(s): hod[dot]urdu[at]manuu[dot]edu[dot]inPhone Number(s): 091-40-23532006
The Department of Urdu was established in 2004. The Department’s main objective is to spread awareness about literary and cultural importance and relevance of the Urdu culture, language and literature in India and around the world. It aims to promote the Urdu language as the language of knowledge, and Urdu literature as the literature of values especially human values that can withstand the buffeting forces of time. It aims at carrying out original research to develop the field of knowledge. The Department offers M.A. in Urdu, MPhil and Ph.D. programmes in addition to P.G. Diploma, Diploma and certificate courses to promote Urdu learning. The thrust research areas of the Department are: The Study of Modern Culture, Language & Literature, Deccani Language, Culture and Literature, Linguistics, Translation and new approaches in the field of literary criticism.
The Department of Urdu has created a platform called “AZAD DISCOURSE FORUM” for over all development of the students of the department.
- Preservation and promotion of Human and aesthetic values amidst Consumerism and Materialism through Urdu Culture, Language &, Literature.
- To spread awareness about the syncretic and synergetic genius and importance of Urdu culture, language & literature.
- To develop the literary taste & sense and significance of language and culture.
- To create the love & respect for values especially human values.
- To ignite the sense of elegance, dignity, magnanimity & delicacy.
- To ignite the passion for learning, teaching and employability based on human utility.
- To protect and promote the creativity and originality.
- To promote the scholastic & research aptitude.
- To promote communicative skills among the students to become successful in the market and society.
- Study of modern culture, language and literature laced with overall classical background.
- Deccani culture, language and literature
- Codiocology based higher research
- Oriental poetics
- Modern theories of criticism
- Hindustani Cinema
- Urdu & Fine Arts
- Azadiyaat (The study of Maulana Azad)