About the University
Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU) is a Central University established by an Act of Parliament in 1998. The headquarter and main campus of MANUU is located in Gachibowli, Hyderabad, Telangana State, over an area of 200 acres. The University is named after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the freedom fighter and outstanding scholar, who as the first Education Minister of Independent India envisioned and laid the foundation of technical, scientific and higher education in India.
The objects of MANUU as per Section 4 of its Act 1996 (No. 2 of 1997) are:
to promote and develop the Urdu Language to impart education and training in vocational and technical subjects through the medium of Urdu, to provide wider access to people desirous of pursuing programmes of higher education and training in Urdu medium through teaching on the campus as well as at a distance, and to provide focus on women education
Of the 29 ‘Powers of the University’ listed in its Acts and Statutes, the first and foremost power is ‘to provide for instructions and research in such branches of learning as are relevant for furtherance of the objects of the University’. This power empowers MANUU to promote and develop the Urdu language through all means available to it and all opportunities provided to it. MANUU’s march of certainty in the realization of its objects can be witnessed from its programmes of study, which are in keeping with not only the traditional branches of learning but also are relevant with the present disciplines of knowledge. MANUU started offering its educational programmes from the year 1998 through distance mode of education, and from 2004 through campus mode.
The campus/regular programmes are offered through Seven Schools of Studies namely
- 1) School of Arts and Social Sciences
- 2) School of Commerce and Business Management
- 3) School of Education and Training
- 4) School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- 5) School of Languages, Linguistics and Indology
- 6) School of Sciences and
- 7) School of Technology (Computer Science & Information Technology),
These Seven Schools have 19 Departments, which offer undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programmes
MANUU has nine academic, technical, professional training and research centres, namely
- 1) Al-Beruni Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy (AICSSEIP)
- 2) Centre for Information Technology (CIT)
- 3) Centre for Professional Development of Urdu Medium Teachers (CPDUMT)
- 4) Centre for Promotion of Knowledge in Urdu (CPKU)
- 5) Centre for Urdu Culture Studies (CUCS)
- 6) Centre for Women Studies (CWS),
- 7) H.K. Sherwani Centre for Deccan Studies (HKSCDS),
- 8) Instructional Media Centre (IMC), and
- 9) UGC Human Resource Development Centre (UGC-HRDC).
MANUU has three directorates:
- 1) Directorate of Distance Education (DDE)
- 2) Directorate of Admissions (DoA) and
- 3) Directorate of Translation and Publication (DTP).
MANUU’s Headquarter in Hyderabad houses buildings for Administration, all Schools of Studies and Departments, all Centres and Directorates, four Boys Hostels, two Girls Hostels, two Guest Houses, Health Centre, five Auditoriums, an Open Air Auditorium Complex, Library, Polytechnic, ITI, Sports Ground, Indoor Stadium, Central Park, Office of the Dean Students Welfare, Proctor’s Office, Bank, Post Office, and Residential Staff Quarters.
MANUU has two Satellite Campuses: one in Lucknow and the other in Srinagar.
It has eight Colleges of Teacher Education, one each at,
- 1) Asansol,
- 2) Aurangabad,
- 3) Bhopal,
- 4) Bidar,
- 5) Darbhanga,
- 6) Nuh,
- 7) Sambhal and
- 8) Srinagar.
It has five Polytechnics one each in
- 1) Bengaluru,
- 2) Cuttack,
- 3) Darbhanga,
- 4) Hyderabad and
- 5) Kadapa.
It has three ITIs one each in
- 1) Begaluru,
- 2) Darbhanga, and
- 3) Hyderabad; and
finally,it has three Urdu Model Schools one each in
- 1) Darbhanga,
- 2) Hyderabad and
- 3) Nuh.
The distance education programmes of MANUU are offered through Directorate of Distance Education (DDE) which has a network of nine Regional and five Sub Regional Centres spread across 11 States of India. The nine Regional Centres are located one each at
- 1) Bangaluru,
- 2) Bhopal,
- 3) Darbhanga,
- 4) Delhi,
- 5) Kolkatta,
- 6) Mumbai,
- 7) Patna,
- 8) Ranchi, and
- 9) Srinagar; and
five Sub-Regional Centres, one each at
- 1) Amravati,
- 2) Hyderabad,
- 3) Jammu,
- 4) Lucknow, and
- 5) Nuh.
The Governing bodies of MANUU are the Court, the Executive Council, Academic Council, School Boards, Boards of Studies of the Departments, Finance Committee and other such committees and authorities as declared by the Statutes of MANUU. The Chancellor is an ex-officio chairperson of the Court. The Vice Chancellor is an ex-officio chairperson of the Executive Council, Academic Council and Finance Committee.
MANUU is a member of Association of Indian Universities, Association of Commonwealth Universities, Asian Association of Open Universities, Association for the Study of Persionate Societies, India International Centre and Indian Academy of Social Sciences.
MANUU has been accredited with A grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2009 with a CGPA of 3.23, and in 2016 with a CGPA of 3.09
To provide and promote quality higher education and research through Urdu and be recognized as the leading institution for academic excellence.
- To disseminate knowledge through the medium of Urdu.
- To impart quality higher education in Urdu through regular and distance modes.
- To provide highest quality of teaching, learning and research environment to the students.
- To develop students’ personality and enhance students’ learning traits.
- To produce linguistically and socially responsible graduates who could make substantive contribution in the society and nation.
- To empower Urdu knowing people by providing higher education access to them.
The Core Values
MANUU is committed to
- supporting and implementing its vision, objects and mission
- focusing on students’ needs,
- promoting continuous improvement in teaching and learning,
- fostering research culture,
- felicitating the spirit of scholarship in students,
- promoting the notion of guidance beyond teaching among teachers,
- manifesting the ethos of Urdu through its architecture and culture,
- channeling the resources and potential towards nation building,
- establishing, maintaining and expanding Green Campus,
- involving stakeholders in the activities that affect them,
- assessing and improving policies related with academic and administration,
- cultivating transparency in administration,
- preferring merit and quality in all spheres of promotion,
- recognising the worth of all its teaching and non-teaching members, and
- treating all the students, staff and the people of the country with dignity.
MANUU currently offers 97 programs in both regular and distance modes. It offers 25 PhD programmes, 27 PG programmes; 15 UG programmes, 02 PG Diploma, and 19 Diploma programmes including technical diploma programmes through Polytechnics, and 09 certificates courses. It also offers vocational programmes through Industrial Training Institutes (08 Certificate Trades). Further MANUU provides flexible academic framework through Choice Based Credit System and upgrades the curriculum of its study programmes periodically.
In MANUU effective governance system is in place for transparency and accountability with established structures. Further, MANUU has switched over to e- and digital Governance for most of its academic and administrative works
Some of the recent initiatives in MANUU are:
- Implementation of the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) and incorporation of the MOOCs as Non- CGPA Credit Course to enhance the value addition to the academic programmes offered by MANUU.
- Formalization of MoUs of strategic partnership with national & international institutions towards expanding academic, research and training activities through collaborations.
- Encouragement of the faculty through funding for minor research and innovation projects.
- Incorporation of the various intervention measures in admissions through reservations and relaxations to various unrepresented and under-represented categories.
- Initiation of the monitoring mechanism for the implementation of quality achieving strategies, by appointing coordinators for IQAC from all the Departments, Colleges, Directorates, Centres, Satellite Campuses, Polytechnics, ITIs, Model Schools, and Administrative and Academic Sections.
- Development of an Online Student Feedback system to improve the quality of teaching, learning and evaluation, and assessment of learning outcomes.
- Establishment of Offices of Dean, Research & Consultancy, and Dean International Students to promote research and attract foreign students to MANUU.
- Displaying of answer scripts to the students and holding discussions with the students to improve their learning experience before the declaration of the results.
- Implementation of Bio-metric attendance system for teaching and non-teaching staff.
Academically MANUU stands among the best Universities in the country offering educational programs in general, professional, technical and vocational streams. The academic thrust of MANUU lies in its unique service of providing education from elementary to doctoral levels through the medium of the Urdu language. MANUU is the only academic destination offering a large number of higher education programmes for Urdu speaking people in the country.
The DST published report places MANUU at 24th in publications and 30th in citations among public funded universities.
MANUU has its presence in 13 States across India. About 5,000 students are pursuing various programmes of study in campus mode of education.
Social Responsibilities and Extension Activities
MANUU is committed to undertake the mission mode social outreach activities envisaged by the Government of India such as Swachh Bharat with more cogency under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan Cell and National Service Scheme Cell. MANUU has been consolidating and expanding these engagements to make an impact on the society and help the government and agencies to make critical interventions in shaping the policies for community development. Under the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan Scheme the University has adopted two Villages Narsinghi and Manchirevula Rajendranagar Mandal RR district, Hyderabad. MANUU is also initiating the activities at outside campuses/colleges and the Ministry has also approved for adoption of more villages at MANUU Polytechnic, Darbhanga (Bihar). MANUU successfully conducted the activities of Swachh Bharat Summer Internships programme. The NSS Cell of MANUU has been organizing blood donation camps in association in the Campus.Further, MANUU has been allotted National Cadet Corps (NCC), Sub Unit with 100 vacancies from 1 (T) Arty, Bty NCC, Hyderabad Group.