- Identity Card is compulsory for getting access to the library.
- Library users entering the library shall deposit their bags and other belongings at the entrance and sign in the Register at the checkpoint.
- The users will not leave any valuables at the security check point. Library is not responsible for any loss of personal belongings.
- All files, books, notebooks and material issued to the users must be presented to the Security Officer at the checkpoint for inspection while leaving the library premises. The library does not permit any exception in the observance of this rule.
- Library borrower card is not transferable. Users are advised not to borrow books for others in their names.
- Members shall observe silence in the library so that other users are not disturbed.
- Members shall not smoke, or spit in any part of the Library.
- Library resources such as books, journals, and electronic materials, etc. are costly and are often rare. They are for the benefit of not only the present but also for the future members of the library. Therefore, readers should not deface, mark, cut, mutilate or damage library resources in any way. Books borrowed should be protected from rain, dust, insects, etc. Members are responsible for any damage caused by them to the books or any other property belonging to the Library and shall be required to pay the penalty imposed upon them by the Librarian or any other competent authority.
- Before leaving the circulation counter, member should satisfy themselves as to whether the material lent to them is in sound condition. If not, they should immediately bring the matter to the knowledge of the library staff at the issue counter; otherwise, they (users) are liable to be held responsible for replacing the material or paying such compensation as fixed by the Librarian.
- Books removed from the shelves by students, if not required for reference, should be kept on the table nearest to them. Students shall abstain from shelving books themselves.
- The newspaper(s) should be folded properly after reading and kept back in the designated place.
- Beverages and eatables are not allowed inside the library.
- All users are requested to keep their mobiles in switched off or silent mode in the library. Use of mobile phones is strictly prohibited in the library premises.
- As the library is a place of self-study and research, members should maintain an atmosphere of dignity, peace and silence within the library premises.
- Book search stations are meant for searching the resources subscribed/purchased by the library. Accessing personal emails, Facebook, Chatting etc. on such computers are not allowed.
- Library users are advised to enter the library premises in decent dresses.
- Members should keep the library informed of any change of address during the period of their membership.
- No visitor or guest is permitted to use the library without the prior permission of the Librarian.
- Upon any infringement of the Library rules members shall forfeit the privileges of admission and membership of the Library.
- Suggestions regarding purchase of books/other materials, subscriptions, improving of library services, complaints etc., may be given to the Librarian.
- At all times, library users will respect prevailing IPR/copyright rules for any library material issued to or downloaded by them. At any given point, only up to 20% document can be photocopied. Cover-to-cover photocopying of any document is prohibited.
- The Librarian has the power to cancel the membership and refuse admission to anyone who violates the rules and regulations of the Library or indulges in any other type of misconduct.
- For issue of books/other reading material, the borrowers should present the same along with their Identity card to the staff at the circulation counter. Members should put his/her signature on the book card provided in the book pocket. After necessary checking, the Library staff will issue the book by stamping the due date on the due date label and return the book to the borrower.
- Books should be brought physically for return and renewals. A renewal over telephonic/verbal requests/written communication is not entertained.
- Borrower is fully responsible for the books/any other material borrowed in his/her account. Hence, members are advised not to sub-lend the materials borrowed from the Library.
- In exceptional cases, a document may be recalled before the due date if required urgently by the library. Failure to respond promptly to such requests may lead to suspension of library privileges.
- If the borrower fails to return the book(s) within a reasonable time of its due date as indicated in the recall notice/due date slip (pasted on the last page of the book), the borrower is liable to pay the applicable charges.
- For issue of new arrivals, priority will be given to member who recommended that book.
- Members proceeding on long leave or leaving the station for any other purpose exceeding three months should return the documents that are borrowed by him/her before leaving the Institute.
Periodicals and Journals
- Current issues and back volumes of periodicals/journals are not issued to the members.
Books (that are issued to other members) can be reserved through library homepage.
On receipt of the reserved books, the member will be communicated about its availability in the library. The member should collect such titles within 24 hours of the above communication from the library. The reservation lapses automatically after 24 hours, and the next person on the list of reservations gets priority.
Use of Other Libraries
Members who wish to use the libraries of other universities etc. may approach the Librarian to facilitate the same.
Penalty on Overdue Books
Fine on overdue books will be charged from students at the rate of Rs.1/- per day,
If the book/any other material is reported (in writing) as lost/misplaced by the students/faculty/staff or any other member, the overdue charges are not levied in such case from the date of report until the same is replaced. However, such transactions must be settled within two months from the date of reporting of the loss.
Recovery of Books Lost by Members
If a book or any of the above material is lost or mutilated beyond usable condition, the following rules will apply:
- The book or any of the above material has to be replaced with the latest edition of that material;
- Pay the cost of the latest edition of the book or any other reading material along with an additional charge of Rs. 50/- towards security tag and administrative cost;
- If the book/any other material is out of print or found to be of rare value, then four times the cost of the book has to be paid by the member;
- If the book/any other material is reported (in writing) as lost/misplaced, the overdue charges are not levied in such case from the date of report until the same is replaced (it must be resolved within two months). However, if the member fails to resolve the issues within the prescribed time frame, applicable rules relating to the penalty/overdue charges will apply.
- If a book/any other material belonging to a multi-volume set is lost, the borrower will replace the entire set at his/her own cost along with an additional charge of Rs. 50/- per volume towards security tag and administrative cost;
All students/staff etc. who leave the University must obtain a Clearance Certificate from the Librarian.